Buying a property in spain
Everything you need to know about buying a property in Spain
1. SPANISH MARKET.
Spain is a country located in the South West of Europe, from which we can give many reasons to be chosen, as a first or second residence. The weather is perfect all year round, where you will find 320 days of sunshine!
Apart from this incredible peculiarity, the Spanish territory consists of a great diversity of landscapes, with beaches catalogued with the blue flag year after year, and wooded and mountain areas, absolutely beautiful and incomparable.
Visit the region which you visit, you will fall in love, you will experience the history of Spain and you will be immersed in it. Spain has been built by different groups of people and cultures, throughout the history, as a result; a diverse and different culture.
Spain is one of the countries with the major longevity in the world and that is due to multiple essential factors, but specifically; gastronomy and the health system. Each community or region offers a typical menu, where a most popular dish stands out; paella, stew, gazpacho, and a host of inimitable dishes. In the field of health, we find a public health system, rated as one of the best in the world, with professionals in all specialties.
To finish, simply add that Spain offers the best quality of life in the world.
2. STEPS TO FOLLOW IN THE PURCHASE OF A PROPERTY IS SPAIN.
Spanish law does not require the intervention of a lawyer for the sale of a property to be effective, but it is highly recommended, since you will be, advised by an expert in the matter and you will have the peace of mind, ‘to be calm’. Our saying, “Buy Legal, Buy Safe.”
Our services in the management of the purchase of real estate are:
- Legal study of the Property.
- Request for a SIMPLE NOTE in the property registry.
- Request for a CATASTRAL CERTIFICATION.
- Request for the CERTIFICATE OF URBAN NON-INFRINGEMENT at the relevant Town Hall.
- Calculate the tax value of the property.
- Check the situation, legal or fiscal, in which the property is located, at:
- SUMA – TOWN HALL – REGISTRY – SUPPLIERS OF SUPPLIES.
- Prepare the reservation contract.
- Prepare the private sale contract.
- Calculate the capital gain. (Tax paid by the seller, but retained by the buyer, normally to guarantee their payment).
- Control of the cancellation of the mortgage, (if any).
- Prepare all the necessary documentation for the appointment at the notary, for the public disclosure of the private agreement, previously signed by the intervening parties.
- Assistance at the notary.
- Control of the registration of the deed in the property registry.
- Collection of the deed, for delivery to the client.
- Change the supplies of the property, to the name of the new owner.
- Change the ownership of the property, in the Town Hall or in SUMA (Gestión Tributaria), in the name of the new owner.
- Domicile the services in the customer’s bank account.
- Be the fiscal representatives of the new owners in Spain. (Spanish law obliges, to appoint a tax representative in Spain, to the new homeowners in our country, when their property is not their primary residence).
In the next section we will make a brief summary of the taxes involved in buying and selling a home.
3.1 Newly built housing.
– VALUE ADDED TAX, the tax rate is 10%.
– TAX ON DOCUMENTED LEGAL ACTS, the tax rate varies depending on the region of Spain in which it is purchased, ranges between 0.5% and 1.5%.
3.2 Used housing.
– TRANSFER TAX, the tax rate varies depending on the region of Spain in which it is purchased, ranges between 6% and 10%.
3.3 Common taxes on new and used properties.
REAL ESTATE TAX.
URBAN SOLID WASTE RATE.
INCOME TAX OF NON-RESIDENTS.
In this section we will make a brief reference to the approximate expenses involved in the management and processing of a purchase, which usually range from 2% to 3% of the purchase value of the property.
Among the professionals to take into account, and whose fees would be part of the quoted percentages, we find; Lawyer, Notary and Property Registry.
The Golden Visa
INVESTMENT RESIDENCE; GOLDEN VISA.
With the entry into force of the law 14/2013 of September supporting entrepreneurs and their internationalization, Spain presented to the world a very attractive legislative project for investors, foreigners, non-citizens of a Member State of the European Union.
With the INVESTMENT VISA, and the subsequent INVESTMENT RESIDENCY, the investor and his family are allowed the possibility of traveling to Spain and to the member countries of the SCHENGEN AGREEMENT, without the need to continuously apply for visas every certain period of time, in the consulate of the country of origin.
The advantages of this, beneficial, residential status are the following:
- It allows you to reside and work in Spain.
- The initial duration of residence is 2 years. The visa lasts for 1 year, renewable each year.
- It is not required to reside 183 days in Spain for its renewal.
- Freedom of movement within the countries that sign the Schengen Agreement.
- Ease to group members of the family nucleus in Spain.
- The residence can be requested by a legal representative; therefore, the applicant should not necessarily be here. For the fingerprint appointment, the applicant must be in Spain.
Who can apply for Residence by Investment, Golden Visa?
Whoever has made a significant investment in Spain, as a natural or legal person:
Investment in financial assets:
- Public Debt (€ 2 million).
- Shares or participations in companies with Spanish capital (€ 1 million).
- Investment funds, closed-end investment funds or venture capital funds established in Spain (€ 1 million).
- Bank deposits in Spanish financial institutions (€ 1 million).
Investment in real estate (€ 500,000).
It can be done with the purchase of several properties.
Investment in a business project in Spain:
there is no minimum amount for this type of investment, its impact on the general interest is valued, such as:
- Creation of jobs.
- Socioeconomic impact in the geographical area where it will be developed.
- Relevant contribution to scientific and / or technological innovation.
What documents must be presented to apply for investment residence, Golden Visa?
- Health insurance.
- Criminal record.
- Accreditation of economic means.
- Accreditation of the realization of the investment.
- Proof that you are the owner of a majority stake in the company. (only for cases in which the investment is made through a company).
Our fees for the processing of the purchase and the application of the investment residence, Golden Visa, range is between 1% and 2%, of the price of the property.
The investment visa and / or residence, known as the Golden Visa, allows, through the purchase of properties, for a value equal to or greater than 500,000 euros, the entry and stay in Spain, both for the applicant and their relatives, does not require permanent residence in Spain and provides work permit. And, finally, it is valid as long as the investment is maintained.
Investing in Spain is synonymous of success in economic terms or, simply, in terms of quality of life, as we have detailed at the beginning of these lines. Do not hesitate to contact 1 CLICK LAWYERS team, for information on any legal aspect or on the Golden Visa itself.
As a complement to our legal services, we have a series of top-quality homes, which we offer below, and, many more possibilities, through our network of agents throughout the national territory.